Friday, September 29, 2023

How to Grow With Short-form Video


 by Alex Garcia

Video content is a major focus for me in Q4 of this year and going into 2024.

I’ve started playing around with some videos that I’ve posted on Twitter. I also had a couple of YouTube channels in a different niche a while back. But I’m a bit rusty.


I’m also totally clueless when it comes to short-form video.

My friend Alex Garcia (insanely talented marketer) wrote a guide on how to win with short-form in his newsletter. One of the few pieces of content I actually read and bookmarked last week.

A few highlights:

Think In Slack Groups

“When Oren makes a video, he thinks about what will get shared in a work Slack channel.

Which is two main metrics: Saves & Shares

Video saves equal content so valuable you want to come back to it.

Video shares equal content so valuable you want others to know too.”

Content Funnels

“Our content strategy focused around top-of-funnel, middle-of-funnel, and bottom-of-funnel content.

And we categorized it like this:

  • Top of funnel = Content that has a wide reach
  • Middle of funnel = Content that's valuable but includes product placements
  • Bottom of funnel = Content that drives a specific action

The volume shifted based on our goal that quarter. But usually, the split was 60% TOF, 30% MOF, and 10% BOF.”

Alex also told me that him, Oren John, and Colin Landforce (this is a serious power team) are running a cohort-based course on how to grow with short-form video in October. I’m in.

This isn't sponsored btw. I would have plugged this piece and resource regardless. If you want to learn short-form video strategy, check it out right here.